A Cape Malay dish that originated from Malaysia, called Sesates, this is an all time favourite on the South African Barbecue, served with rotis and South African fruit chutney.
- 1kg boned leg of lamb
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 275ml cups malt vinegar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp salt
- 24 dried apricots, soaked in water for 1 hour
- Cut lamb into bite-size cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel onions and cut into eighths and separate fillets.
- Peel garlic and slice thinly.
- Gently stir cloves, bay leaves, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, onions and garlic with the lamb.
- In a bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, salt and apricot jam together. Pour over lamb and mix. Cover with cling film and marinate in a refrigerator for about 16 hours.
- Strain meat and skewer the lamb, onion, apricot and bay leaf evenly on to skewers*.
- When grilling on the Barbecue or a grill pan, lightly brush with a little oil.
* if using wooden skewers, soak for 15 minutes in water, as this will prevent them from burning on the BBQ and drying out the meat